A Ethical Oath (1 Viewer)

Waterloo

Whitelisted
A oath, circled around the medical community of Aversus, would be found easily by any who were interested in the medical sciences, and the required techniques to save the common man from life-ending injuries and diseases. It stated the following:

"I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant, under the gaze of the Holy Matron, Arvora:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those fellow physicians in whose steps I walk, and willingly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures of which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment, therapeutic nihilism, and unabashed cruelty to those under my care.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the alchemist’s potion.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call on my fellows when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery and survival.

I will respect the privacy of the patients under my care, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life, death, and the soul. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this weighty responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at being Arvora, the holy matron, and disrespect those who have died through means unbecoming of my profession.

I will remember that I do not treat a injury, a disease, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and it's stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick, and inform properly his kin.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure, for cure is unneeded if the disease in question never occurs.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings who request my help, those sound of mind and body as well as the injured and dead. For life is sacred, and to mourn the loss of it must be allowed without alterations.

I will remember, that revivals and matters of the soul are not to be treated lightly, and so the dead must not be taken lightly aswell. If the matters of the soul are treaded by me, the dead must be treated with respect, no matter their condition; Whether it be a apparition of ghostly potential, or simply a corpse, respect will be given all the same.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions and ethics of my calling and profession, and may I long experience the joy of healing and assisting those who seek my help."

It would be unsigned, meant not for recognition or the possibilities for fame, but for a code of ethics, something that the medical community could uphold itself to, and perform itself admirably according to it.

Attachments

RedAttendant

Edgy Triangle
Whitelister
Subscriber
Finn would read the oath with a degree of skepticism. He'd never been held to an oath since he started his medical training, and wasn't a follower of Arvora regardless.

Finn felt no need to be held to these words, and even if he did, he'd disrespected the dead enough to break this oath several times over.

Abbi

Not!Syrien Shaman
Whitelister
Reina took one of the fliers and tossed it into the nearest flame, watching it burn to naught but ash. She had her own ethics in her work that worked just fine for the moment, so she paid little mind to what the flier said. Sometimes flowery words were just that, and couldn't compare to that of experience. Too many times has the lass had to keep herself from panic in the field in order to just do what got the least amount of dead to tend to. Survival meant more than flowery words, and it kept her and others alive in times of hardship. "Good on paper, not always so good in practice. You survive or you don't, no inbetween. The world is crueler than any criminal that walks." She murmured to herself as she let the ashes of the flier set, stomping on them to be sure they went out as she left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom