• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

Aethier Community Climate Survey (1 Viewer)

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
Hello friends! My Political Research class this semester has ~ INSPIRED ~ me and I think it would be interesting and helpful to get some anonymous data about what members of the community think about certain hot topics that have been coming up in conversations recently. I'm gonna leave this survey open for a few weeks and then present results! It should only take about 5-10 minutes to complete :)

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
Currently we’re at about 60 responses and I would LOVE to get that up to 75; the bigger the sample, the more reliable the results are. Please consider taking this survey!!

TheCreatorT

The Event Team Jinx
Credits
19.980cr
TheCreatorT
TheCreatorT
Patron 2
I disagree somewhat with that conclusion; we all know we do not have 60 active players, and as far as I know there is no question asking for activity level of the participant, merely asking when they joined Aethier. So chances are we’ll get a skewed result due to inactive players responding who should not get as much say in the community (or at least, won’t have an accurate picture on the current environment)

Stealth Edit: This can easily be fixed by including a question about activity level so we can categorize answers by such; otherwise we won’t know which answers are from active players or those who recently left who have more accurate/relevant answers/opinions.

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
I disagree somewhat with that conclusion; we all know we do not have 60 active players, and as far as I know there is no question asking for activity level of the participant, merely asking when they joined Aethier. So chances are we’ll get a skewed result due to inactive players responding who should not get as much say in the community (or at least, won’t have an accurate picture on the current environment)

Stealth Edit: This can easily be fixed by including a question about activity level so we can categorize answers by such; otherwise we won’t know which answers are from active players or those who recently left who have more accurate/relevant answers/opinions.
Stratifying the data that way, though, comes with a whole slew of biases. This survey was posted on the Aethier forums and a few discord servers, which means that every person with access to it must concievably keep up with Aethier at least a little to be able to take the survey. Adding other constraints to which data is “reliable” enough is problematic and can skew the data. For example, one problem is that it excludes people who are less active on Aethier or have recently decided to quit/take a hiatus from Aethier because of issues within the community or issues with server management. Those perspectives are just as important to identifying the problem and should not be excluded from the study.

TheCreatorT

The Event Team Jinx
Credits
19.980cr
TheCreatorT
TheCreatorT
Patron 2
Stratifying the data that way, though, comes with a whole slew of biases. This survey was posted on the Aethier forums and a few discord servers, which means that every person with access to it must concievably keep up with Aethier at least a little to be able to take the survey. Adding other constraints to which data is “reliable” enough is problematic and can skew the data. For example, one problem is that it excludes people who are less active on Aethier or have recently decided to quit/take a hiatus from Aethier because of issues within the community or issues with server management. Those perspectives are just as important to identifying the problem and should not be excluded from the study.
I never said such perspectives should be excluded; however, there are plenty of cases of mostly inactive players continuing to insert their opinions into Aethier etc, which is not exactly helpful as those who are currently active wil have a better idea of the current state of affairs. Also, If people have left for certain reasons, we should be able to see that. With the survey as it is, however, we cannot since there is no way to tell for each participant how active the are, if any.

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
I never said such perspectives should be excluded; however, there are plenty of cases of mostly inactive players continuing to insert their opinions into Aethier etc, which is not exactly helpful as those who are currently active wil have a better idea of the current state of affairs. Also, If people have left for certain reasons, we should be able to see that. With the survey as it is, however, we cannot since there is no way to tell for each participant how active the are, if any.
There is no way to account for what you want with ethical research practices. It would call for too much insertion on my part; I would have to determine how much activity constitutes “active” and the results would most certainly change depending on where I drew that line. Asking only about demographics that are revelant to the particular analyses that you plan on conducting (for me in this case, whether or not being a team member or a faction member affects outlook on community perspectives) is best research practices.

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
[QUOTE="TheCreatorT, post: 251516, member: 9711]
[/QUOTE]

This is problematic. In this type of survey, no one’s opinion is more “relevant” than anyone else’s.

TheCreatorT

The Event Team Jinx
Credits
19.980cr
TheCreatorT
TheCreatorT
Patron 2
There is no way to account for what you want with ethical research practices. It would call for too much insertion on my part; I would have to determine how much activity constitutes “active” and the results would most certainly change depending on where I drew that line. Asking only about demographics that are revelant to the particular analyses that you plan on conducting (for me in this case, whether or not being a team member or a faction member affects outlook on community perspectives) is best research practices.
I do not see what ethics has to do with this; you can literally just have a question that says, 'how many hours did you invest in aethier last month' and make it multiple choice wtih ranges like 0-5 hours, 6-10, etc. That way we can better categorize the demographics to those who left to see why they left to those who are active to see what they believe the current problems are.

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
I do not see what ethics has to do with this; you can literally just have a question that says, 'how many hours did you invest in aethier last month' and make it multiple choice wtih ranges like 0-5 hours, 6-10, etc. That way we can better categorize the demographics to those who left to see why they left to those who are active to see what they believe the current problems are.
Any choice range would be highly biased in this instance and could skew results. Me weighing individual responses over other individual responses because of any demographic (esp one that is not immutable, like activity) is highly biased and could skew results. For more explanation on these two points, see my above responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom