Aethier - The Gathering Update (1 Viewer)

Serethia

The Owner and Founder of Aethier
Staff member
Founder
Team Leader
Developer
Not my usual way of posting a service update, however today I have the first phase of a major update that is being introduced to the server.

This is the Gathering Update, and as of now you can now find resource points scattered around the map in which you can find resources, currently mining resources that give actual items to represent what you are finding. This being ores that you can take to vendors and have them converted into ingots, in which can be used to make items.

I dont want to ruin it by giving away too much, but I will give you a few examples.

Finding An ore item in a chest at a disgite:

Finding ore at a Ore Node Location:

Smelting ores at a Smelter on the Spirit Island:

Selling Excess ores at the Ore Trader on the Spirit Island for a small amount of arunes:

In accordance with the this update, we have also added rule 24 to the code of conduct found here: https://www.aethier.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/rules-policies.46002/
24. Resource Gathering
Due to the technical resource gathering expansion put into place, there are a few stipulations to make sure that this process is a legitimate as possible. These items collected are considered in character items and therefore the trading of them must be done IC, relating to rule #21. These resource nodes are not to be considered OOC.
  • Should a player be alone they need not rp to gather the material, however in the case of two or more people present for the collection of resources, each member must make RP emotes to gather the resource.
  • Stealing from resource nodes that another player is gathering from, ‘sniping’ the node, is not allowed. To better protect yourself from stealing threats, it is recommended, though not required, that you rp gathering the material when by yourself so that it cannot come into dispute who was present first.

And as you might have guessed, yes this system is in character, and is designed to promote roleplay. The items you get from this system are all IC items, and not only should they apply to Rule 21, but may also hold heavy influence in the next alteration of custom items pricing.

What you do with it however, is upto you. Do you collect and hoard the items, Do you sell them to the vendors to boost your daily income, or do you work on in character agreements with smiths and get items just merely sell them to other characters for vast amounts of arunes?

What if you're a blacksmith though? You may notice that basic smelting is available at the spawn, But what if you're trying to make Alloys, or smelt more advanced materials? With your prificiencies you can request vendors to do such things for you. For now, asking members of the Technical department for setup is the preferred method, but an application may be made available later.

Either way, who knows, its yours to toy with but be advised this system is subject to change, and tyo recieve many updates, including resource degradation, adjustment of spawn times, rarity, and the discovery and removal of sites due to various server and player events.

A quick additional note is that every loot table has a percentage chance of dropping Patron Key shards or fragments. These can be combined at a vendor on the Spirit Island Key locations. Items related to the Patron Keys are NOT subject to the Item Trading rules.

For reference, this is the first of Four Update Parts.

1. Ores and Minerals - Done
  2. Alchemical Ingredients - Next
  3. Flora, and Woodcutting - To Come
  4. Colonisation, Structures and Argicultural - To Come
A Final, but important note to mention is that these items will be required for the creation of related custom items that require Ore Based ingredients. However, this will not come into effect for Two weeks after the release of this system (So on the 18th of March 2018 they will be required).
Hope to see you all soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Olyblob

Really British
I can't find any on the islands my faction owns despite the fact I have a literal mine built into one of the settlement with the IC reason to gather minerals and such.

llmited

Operations Team
Technical Support
Forum Administrator
I can't find any on the islands my faction owns despite the fact I have a literal mine built into one of the settlement with the IC reason to gather minerals and such.
Player-built mines are going to come in some of the later phases of this project. Right now, we put in about 14 fixed locations scattered around the world.

ZooGarrus

the golem guy
Build Team
Subscriber
We're going to add way more mine locations in the future, admittedly I tried to have every faction have some sort of resource location before launch but we're just trying to test the waters first.

Serethia

The Owner and Founder of Aethier
Staff member
Founder
Team Leader
Developer
We intentionally avoided building the sites near player owned settlements for launch as at this stage we wanted to release it in an open manner, accessible to all before the factions start to stake thier claims on the sites. Rest assured though more are coming, The 14 on the mainland are not the only 14 that will ever exist as we may sporadically add more, deplete others, and player events will heavilly dictate the discovery of such things.

Come phase 4 of the release, we intend to start allowing more direct requests of resource sites including things such as these mineshafts, assuming we can get people to behave with flying around and the system properly catches on of course.

It is open to suggestions and critisism though as we have been working heavilly with the BETA team to try and deliver something actually worthwhile, without saturating the world with the items.

Its a little too early for me to be able to assess how healthy the current market for the items is as there has only been one node respawn cycle so far, however i'd heavilly assume that between now, and when the other teams take over this phase of the system in the next few weeks, that you may see a lot of balancing changes and other adjustments to the system based on direct player feedback and observations from our side.

Olyblob

Really British
We intentionally avoided building the sites near player owned settlements for launch as at this stage we wanted to release it in an open manner, accessible to all before the factions start to stake thier claims on the sites. Rest assured though more are coming, The 14 on the mainland are not the only 14 that will ever exist as we may sporadically add more, deplete others, and player events will heavilly dictate the discovery of such things.

Come phase 4 of the release, we intend to start allowing more direct requests of resource sites including things such as these mineshafts, assuming we can get people to behave with flying around and the system properly catches on of course.

It is open to suggestions and critisism though as we have been working heavilly with the BETA team to try and deliver something actually worthwhile, without saturating the world with the items.

Its a little too early for me to be able to assess how healthy the current market for the items is as there has only been one node respawn cycle so far, however i'd heavilly assume that between now, and when the other teams take over this phase of the system in the next few weeks, that you may see a lot of balancing changes and other adjustments to the system based on direct player feedback and observations from our side.
I really don't want to have to play hide and seek with lore team just to have a crafting character progress. It feels uncomfortable. It's time consuming in an unfun way. This and the fact not every character is in a faction how do they progress if all the nodes get locked down?

Kronch

Subscriber
Hey all,

I made a crude map based on where you can currently gather if you are not nobility of a nation. Hopefully this will help anyone who is confused about where they can gather.

The desert currently hasn't set up their gathering policy, so I'll try to update it if they bar gathering there.34269

Remember that for the new node rules, you must rp, and you must have an IC reason for being there other than just for nodes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Marcus

sarcasm and skin problems
Newcomer Training Team
y'all realize that everyone's progression is locked unless you are a noble / you know a noble of a nation ? It's pretty sad. over half the continent is blocked off by leaders who most likely won't even use all of their resources but it's "their's" so they don't want anyone else aside from their friends / nobility to access them. This also allows for OOC bias exclusion as you can always make up some bullshit I C excuse so as to forbid someone from gathering. God forbid you play a vagrant wanderer who would realistically be able to live off / use the land as they traveled, because apparently there's soldiers around every tree and patch of flowers.

Last edited:

Oreocake86

Camper
I just wanted to say that I like this system and hope eventually gathering plants or animals from traps and such, is a thing. It gives reason for rp, and I’m pretty sure if you asked most nobility, and your character had a use for said materials beyond just doing it for something to have; they would gladly share the nodes in their land.

llmited

Operations Team
Technical Support
Forum Administrator
y'all realize that everyone's progression is locked unless you are a noble / you know a noble of a nation ? It's pretty sad. over half the continent is blocked off by leaders who most likely won't even use all of their resources but it's "their's" so they don't want anyone else aside from their friends / nobility to access them. This also allows for OOC bias exclusion as you can always make up some bullshit I C excuse so as to forbid someone from gathering. God forbid you play a vagrant wanderer who would realistically be able to live off / use the land as they traveled, because apparently there's soldiers around every tree and patch of flowers.
If you ask a few leaders, they're more than likely willing to give you access to the nodes, assuming it isn't for malicious use--or that it won't go to waste. For example, a couple of leaders have already said that my character could gather from their territory. There are also many nodes that aren't under a faction's influence; in fact, there are about 7-8 more nodes still undiscovered, to my knowledge. If you feel as if OOC is trickling into IC influence or vice versa, you are welcome to get in contact with the moderation team.

That_one_niceguy

Event Team
Event Team
Hey all,

I made a crude map based on where you can currently gather if you are not nobility of a nation. Hopefully this will help anyone who is confused about where they can gather.

The desert currently hasn't set up their gathering policy, so I'll try to update it if they bar gathering there.View attachment 34269

Remember that for the new node rules, you must rp, and you must have an IC reason for being there other than just for nodes.
Just to notify you of a small error please black out all the territory of Region 2 from your map. That territory is governed by Aedelwynn and only the citizens of that land can freely gather from the nodes within.

Kronch

Subscriber
If you ask a few leaders, they're more than likely willing to give you access to the nodes, assuming it isn't for malicious use--or that it won't go to waste. For example, a couple of leaders have already said that my character could gather from their territory. There are also many nodes that aren't under a faction's influence; in fact, there are about 7-8 more nodes still undiscovered, to my knowledge. If you feel as if OOC is trickling into IC influence or vice versa, you are welcome to get in contact with the moderation team.
There are 7-8 nodes in that unclaimed area? Holy moly. Time to look closer, I guess.

Just to notify you of a small error please black out all the territory of Region 2 from your map. That territory is governed by Aedelwynn and only the citizens of that land can freely gather from the nodes within.
You may want to speak with a team about that, the current legend to the map has nothing for region 2, and since the colored/numbered map has no legend of its own, the only refeences is the man power sheet

This seems to be an issue as a whole, as others are saying that a region marked as empty should be attributed to them.

If they are enforcing these node rules, maps MUST be up to date. How else will people know? As is, new players will already be struggling immensely to know what is allowed where for nodes due to not having intimate knowledge of the map.

Last edited:

That_one_niceguy

Event Team
Event Team
You may want to speak with a team about that, the current legend to the map has nothing for region 2, and since the colored/numbered map has no legend of its own, the only refeences is the man power sheet

This seems to be an issue as a whole, as others are saying that a region marked as empty should be attributed to them.

If they are enforcing these node rules, maps MUST be up to date. How else will people know? As is, new players will already be struggling immensely to know what is allowed where for nodes due to not having intimate knowledge of the map.
This territory map indicates Region 2 as claimed.

Kronch

Subscriber
I'm not disputing that, don't worry.

The issue is that map has no legend. What is claimed there? Nothing. It's a bunch of colors and numbers. There's no way to understand who owns what, and therefore what permissions are what. For some reason, the ma['s legend is in the man power sheet, and that has nothing for several regions people are stating are claimed.

If the only way of interpreting that map is saying no one owns a place, it needs to be corrected.

TheCreatorT

As someone already stated, you can still talk to leaders in order to get permission. Additionally, as Crach stated now multiple times Mat Apps are not going anywhere, so you are not locked from progression; you can still apply for iron, copper, whatever to progress, and then do events for rare items like everyone else.

Vmwareguy2

Nature's Guardian
Not to mention you don't need to gather the stuff yourself, you can just buy the ore/finished ingots from people, like every single craftsman irl across most of history has ever done. Besides, the Forum Application system is still in effect and is free, and is faster than the nodes, because you need 10 items from nodes to make 1kg of ore, instead of just applying for 1+ kg's of it right off the bat. Also as stated, many people are fine making exceptions, especially if you give them incentive like a discount at their next visit to your smithy, or a small fee. Again, like what would happen irl.

Olyblob

Really British
A system is terribly flawed if people have to ICly come up with solutions to the OOC problems the system brings.

It just feels like this whole thing was designed by someone who's never played crafting character in their life.

The problem is not factions being able to control nodes. The problem is the nodes themselves. Putting /all/ the resources that a land can produce into one place into the land basically turns material gathering into a game of domination on your favourite generic FPS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom