• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

Chat System Update? (1 Viewer)

Chat System

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serethia

The Owner and Founder of Aethier
Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.145cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
I think that movements towards communial input may be a better way to do things.. so i've a few options for you, See the poll above and place your votes.

I'm doing this one primarilly to see what people think. This thread will be reviewed in tomorrows staff meeting. We may NOT be able to actually do much here, i just really want to see.

dogbew

High Energy
Credits
67.897cr
dogbew
dogbew
Patron 7
I understand the reasoning behind the current chat system, as Nini put it, the way it is now is what the majority of people are used to.

Though I do think it is bad to limit how people rp, as Mega stated; the way it is done here causes little issue for players who were used to another system to conform to. It also makes getting into the rp easier for new players., as they see everyone doing it the same way.

I do not mind the way it is now as that is also what I am used to, but wouldn't entirely mind changing to something else if a majority of people truly do want it another way. That said I do think that whatever the system is, it should be used uniformly among all players.

yoda74

An Evening Girl, Fond Of The Twilight Hours
Credits
50.000cr
I liked being able to type @[player name] for messages, @@ for quick replies, all that jazz. And #[channel name] instead of /ch [channel name] every time was a lot faster, plus, making temporary channels was useful for discussions that were clogging up global chat and, uh, stuff.

Serethia

The Owner and Founder of Aethier
Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.145cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
\ said:
I liked being able to type @[player name] for messages, @@ for quick replies, all that jazz. And #[channel name] instead of /ch [channel name] every time was a lot faster, plus, making temporary channels was useful for discussions that were clogging up global chat and, uh, stuff.
Thats actually a plugin that did that, it causes havoc with our version of hawkeye though

\ said:
I understand the reasoning behind the current chat system, as Nini put it, the way it is now is what the majority of people are used to.Though I do think it is bad to limit how people rp, as Mega stated; the way it is done here causes little issue for players who were used to another system to conform to. It also makes getting into the rp easier for new players., as they see everyone doing it the same way.

I do not mind the way it is now as that is also what I am used to, but wouldn't entirely mind changing to something else if a majority of people truly do want it another way. That said I do think that whatever the system is, it should be used uniformly among all players.
Its less trying to restrict, and more trying to conform to one generalised system to avoid confusion. I still personally feel that a mixed system will cause confusion, as it did once before.

Just do remember, how people roleplay on other servers has nothing to do with us. Each server typically does things differently, with the the exception that offbreed servers will typically conform to the needs of anyone willing to jump ship over trivial matters, but usually, that seems to be the case.

Personally for me i feel it should either be:

Hello *they waved*

Or

"Hello" they waved

Because

"Hello" *they waved* is a bit.. Well wasteful and unnecessary (and requires more key presses!) especially with the stupidly low character limit minecraft enforces

But again, thats just my opinion.

Pen

Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
"Hello" they waved

Because

"Hello" *they waved* is a bit.. Well wasteful and unnecessary (and requires more key presses!) especially with the stupidly low character limit minecraft enforces
I couldn't agree more with this, personally. I've been around the block when it comes to minecraft roleplay servers, and the most used system I've seen is a local speaking chat, and an emote chat. Normal speaking is just like, Hello, how are you?

That with no quotations or emoting, just normal speaking.

And then emote chat, which is italicized and includes quotations, like this.

"Hello," he said with a smile. "How are you?"

While the asterix are alright for showing emoting, like you said I feel it takes up room that could be used for more characters. Being a new player, I just found that adapting to them before and after emotes felt odd, and going back and forth with emoting and asterixs felt awkward.

I feel the local and emote chat are the best alternatives, but that's just my two cents.

DelendaEst

a formidable opponent,,,
Credits
50.000cr
A certain server has an interesting chat plugin that colours text outside of quotation marks differently from the text within them. Allowing it to look something like this.

Dios glances at the man, staring for a moment, "And who might you be?" he asks with a tilt of his brow.

WoW also does this.

Pandora's Box

Credits
50.000cr
You people do realize that quotation marks make absolutely no difference on RP, right..? It isn't confusing with them, it won't confuse anyone else, even with other chat styles mixed in. Want to know how I know this? Because another server I go on has multiple chat styles, and absolutely no one gets confused with it.

If anything, it's much easier to work with.. Because it's easier to show what is being said, and what is being done. People can accidentally put **'s where they don't mean it ( Like with the current /me system, it's extremely annoying because it forces one at the end where it normally doesn't need one ) . It's just easier to read because it's /proper English/, something most of us have been taught in some way or another. It's how any novella or story type piece of work goes, all RPing is is making your own mini novel with other people. Why destroy the English language just because /one person/ doesn't like it? We all have preferences, some people use them, some people don't and use ** instead. That's fine, allow them all, because those are the only types there is anyways, and at this point, no one can get confused between the two because everyone is used to seeing it. It's pointless and rather stupid to /not/ allow them, because it really makes no difference in the slightest.

I heard the main "reason" why they aren't allowed is to avoid confusion.. But the current rule /makes/ confusion.. Because people, like myself, are not used to typing this way, in the slightest, and often make mistakes with this /forced upon/ style. It isn't fair, nor right, for anyone.

Aruchel

Master Hand
Credits
50.000cr
Chat system update isn't a proper title for this post. If Fuzzy hadn't been posting this on server, then there's no way I would have seen. This title is misleading. It inclined me to believe that changes to hero chat were being discussed.

Megadonkey30

Credits
59.938cr
OmegaDonkilonXXX
OmegaDonkilonXXX
Patron 4
\ said:
A certain server has an interesting chat plugin that colours text outside of quotation marks differently from the text within them. Allowing it to look something like this.Dios glances at the man, staring for a moment, "And who might you be?" he asks with a tilt of his brow.

WoW also does this.
The point of unbanning Quotation Marks is not to copy another server, it is to strike away the unjust banning of a roleplay style that not only makes the RP easier to read, but cleaner, and neater.

MRPolo13

Credits
50.000cr
I feel like consistency is key. Either enforce quotation marks or enforce their lack. Otherwise, to me, there is no point in allowing quotation marks. But I suppose that the poll's closed now so it doesn't really matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom