Let me begin by stating that yes, by technicality, I am under Do-Not-Return Status (DNR), though, through request, I have graciously been allowed to make this appeal and statement. I'll be writing a decent amount here, placing it into sections and semi-delineated bullet points and such. I am putting effort into this appeal, and I intend for that effort to be seen throughout the entire document. I was banned for what can be considered a legitimate breach of the rules, a la toxicity, and the tension of the period in which I was banned likely led to the repercussions for what I believed was a mere jest, to be greater than I had anticipated. I should not have been so bold as to test the waters of judgement with a "funny meme". I was in the wrong throughout the entirety of the situation, whether or not the overall environment at the time was tense or not, gives no bearing as to whether or not I was 'right' or 'wrong'. I was in violation of the rather simple set rules that I knew very well. I was treating a "fun" pastime as a legal quagmire, and that was the first fault of personal character that I desperately needed to resolve.
This allows me to bring to the forefront the first exposition; what was I banned for? According to the documentation itself, I was banned for Toxicity and Ignoring Staff Directive. I'll consent that yes, I was behaving in a manner that could be seen as toxic, especially to those involved. My behaviour was relying on semantics, and it was done, while not necessarily maliciously, in purposeful deviance of the rules. What precisely did I do to warrant receiving a ban, and following that ban, a DNR status? I shall thus expand.
- Behaving in a toxic manner towards Lore Team and the Loremaster, Kyle.
- While at the time, I contested this vehemently, I was indeed behaving in a way that can be construed as toxic. At the time, there was an intense argument over the validity of a certain subrace and culture of humans. Lore Team and the Loremaster had stated that continuing to use this subrace was a violation of lore. I was not a party to this argument, with the exception that the argument had intrigued me, and had also riled up a few friends of mine. Firstly, I engaged in the argument by trying to be reasonable- and then later, turned to demeaning Kyle and the Lore Team. While this was done in a private discord, it was not a very good thing for me to have done. Again, I was relying on the semantics behind the rules that would allow me to escape punishment for participating in the argument as I did. By technicality, statements in a private discord have no bearing over judgement decisions on the server- but again, I will state that I was relying on semantics, and being quite stupid.
- This argumentation having had no effect on the Lore Team's verdict, I decided that in order to "meme" on them, I would change my username to 'LoreViolateThis'. While this was not necessarily a breach of the rules, I was again relying on semantics to keep me safe from punishment. I was indeed being toxic. I was not a participant in the violation of lore, but my having carried the conversation on a private discord, into the server's medium by way of my immature and 'clever' meme did indeed violate the Code of Conduct.
- Ignoring Staff Directive by changing the username.
- At the time, I also claimed vehemently that the claim of my violating staff directive was a bogus one. Relying on semantics, since I was not told to stop misbehaving on an Aethier medium, officially, that I was safe from this warning. I expected to be given a verbal warning, upon which I would refrain from logging on with the jokingly-named account and keep my mouth shut for a few weeks. I shouldn't have done this, as it was merely an extension of my persistence in being a nuisance to the Lore Team and Loremaster. While I was not officially warned, I was told to stop doing what I was doing- and despite this, I did not respect the requests of those who I was pestering.
- Further pestering Moderation Team
- A few months after the ban, the server had been moved to a new box- thus leaving the ban list empty. I was able to log on and poot around for what I was continuing to say were, 'memes'. Yes, it was funny to me- however, it was not funny to others. It also led to many misconstrued incidents in which it may have been believed that I was acting maliciously in order to act out against the ban that I had received. Sure- I did also log on with a VPN account in order to meme around- and having messed about, I did promptly speak with a member of Moderation, letting them know that yes, it was I who was pulling a "ruse cruise." This, while again, semantically not 'wrong', was a continuation of the behaviour which got me banned in the first place.
I also want to say; towards those who might have perceived my attitude and behaviour as overtly aggressive and demeaning towards them, I did not intend that to be the case at all. There are those whom I had been with through some pretty rough and crazy times- notably, my primary apology is to Kyle. Just because we had a difference of opinion, I had no right to make a mockery of you, whether it was in a private chat or not. Secondly, to Daylighter- while we also may have had, and still have, some disagreements, in no way did my commentary or mockery mean to make you feel threatened. I am aware that at times my words and statements can come across in ways that I do not intend them. My greatest regret is, and always has been, the inability to phrase into words, what I actually meant and felt at the time. Minecraft Roleplay has ways of causing people who, ordinarily, would not be so disgusting towards one another, to fall into activities that they more than likely, would not participate in under any other circumstance. I also summarily apologize towards NiNi, Moderation Team, and other members of the teams, for behaving in a way that treated an internet community as some sort of legal spiderweb that can be used to avoid the admission and/or punishment of guilt.
Finally, I'd like to say thanks to Phantom for enduring my repeated requests to allow me to post this appeal/statement, and another hearty thanks to those that made my prior times on this server something that I can never forget.
- Clemenceau (Rhad).