• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

Dynmap (1 Viewer)

How would you like dynmap?

• On a Login system, but application based.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Serethia

The Owner and Founder of Aethier
Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
So some people recently jumped for joy, and as usual people revolted the decision to disable the player overlay on dynmap.

First of all, let me give you my reasoning for why I personally believe it rightfully should stay off, and these points are not only true, but I have personally obtained all the evidence I need, names included to prove these points.

• Players use this map to metagame.
    - All the time. And not the harmless "Let me just find where the RP is at" metagaming, I mean full on:
    > "The people who are trying to kill me are in the town i was planning to go to, ah well, i'm suddenly not going"
    > "The person i'm trying to kill is here, lets show up with no roleplay reason"
    > "Lets use this map to hunt for and find people and their bases in the Event"
  • Complaints.
    - All people do is complain about the "Metamap". These same people are complaining that its turned off. Really..?
  • This is a better alternative to /dynmap hide
    - Last time we had /dynmap hide, the entire server bar maybe two or three people visible.
So, i give you all a few choices, but i really mean it. Whatever is chosen by majority vote, we stick to. And i will ignore all further complaints about dynmap.

A note: Regardless of the vote: Dynmap player viewing will be disabled in:

• Events (That use Alternate worlds, or require it)
  • Any Resource Worlds
If you feel you have comments, or suggestions for other options, feel free to comment on this thread. Your opinions are valued.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arendan

Beautiful Butterfly
Credits
50.000cr
On the other side of the argument.

"Dynmap is used for new players to find out where roleplay is, roleplay is stale without is as the only roleplay you can find is at /spawn tavern."

"I was roleplaying for nonstop hours and had fun, since dynmap was disabled I'm having trouble doing so"

"The world is way too large to 'stumble' up on players normally"

"Its crucial for finding RP spots"

"People should be able to decide for themselves if they want to have dynmap on or not"

I voted that it remains turned off, but I do see the flip side of the argument.

B

Banned User

Keep it hidden id say, as you said people use it to meta and we have recently logged a issue of this, if people want to find RP they are always able to ask ooc instead of using Dynmap, staying hidden because they can see where people are and doing something stupid

ZoddyBoy

Credits
50.750cr
GreenskinTrash
GreenskinTrash
Patron 6
\ said:
Keep it hidden id say, as you said people use it to meta and we have recently logged a issue of this, if people want to find RP they are always able to ask ooc instead of using Dynmap, staying hidden because they can see where people are and doing something stupid
Isn't this just a softer version of metagaming?

natureluvr

Princess
Developer
Technical Support
Forum Administrator
Lore Team
Subscriber
Credits
5.595cr
natureluvr7
natureluvr7
Patron 7
\ said:
"People should be able to decide for themselves if they want to have dynmap on or not"
I agree with this. I don't really understand why /dynmap hide isn't an option, to be honest. I believe most people would keep themselves visible when they're just having regular roleplay or are looking for roleplay, and hide themselves when they feel people might try to metagame to their characters.

Wulfthorne

Iusti Militis
Banned
Credits
50.000cr
If people want to be seen, they'll be seen. If not, then that's good enough of a reason. /dynmap hide is probably the best option in my opinion.

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
\ said:
I agree with this. I don't really understand why /dynmap hide isn't an option, to be honest. I believe most people would keep themselves visible when they're just having regular roleplay or are looking for roleplay, and hide themselves when they feel people might try to metagame to their characters.
\ said:
This is a better alternative to /dynmap hide- Last time we had /dynmap hide, the entire server bar maybe two or three people visible.

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
\ said:
I would love if cities could be made visable on the dynmap, that would help out a lot. I like that players aren't shown on the map, though.
There is a layer you can enable on the Dynmap called "Worldguard". I'm working on adding markers though for landmarks and cities.

natureluvr

Princess
Developer
Technical Support
Forum Administrator
Lore Team
Subscriber
Credits
5.595cr
natureluvr7
natureluvr7
Patron 7
I still don't really understand why that's a problem though? Not to sound rude or anything xD Maybe there could be some sort of reminder that people could turn on dynmap as an easier way of finding roleplay? I mean, if they're not /dynmap hide for any specific reason really, maybe they just forgot they turned it off.

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
\ said:
I still don't really understand why that's a problem though? Not to sound rude or anything xD Maybe there could be some sort of reminder that people could turn on dynmap as an easier way of finding roleplay? I mean, if they're not /dynmap hide for any specific reason really, maybe they just forgot they turned it off.
People never have a reason to /dynmap hide, they all do it "So people cant find me, or metagame me". Others because they have the option. Simple point is, if you're going to allow people to hide themself, you might aswell just turn it off entirely.

DelendaEst

a formidable opponent,,,
Credits
50.000cr
Foreword: This is a purely ignorant suggestion, I know little about how dynmap works.

Is it not possible to have players show up anonymously on Dynmap? So, you'd see a lot of "blips" in Stormfall, some in Katherine, Casval, etc. but there'd be no names attached.

This way you can open up Dynmap and figure, "Ah, a lot of people in Katherine today - might head there" but not "Oh christ, my nemesis is in Katherine, going to avoid that till he moves".

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
\ said:
Foreword: This is a purely ignorant suggestion, I know little about how dynmap works.Is it not possible to have players show up anonymously on Dynmap? So, you'd see a lot of "blips" in Stormfall, some in Katherine, Casval, etc. but there'd be no names attached.

This way you can open up Dynmap and figure, "Ah, a lot of people in Katherine today - might head there" but not "Oh christ, my nemesis is in Katherine, going to avoid that till he moves".
IF ONLY (Let me check)

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
\ said:
Foreword: This is a purely ignorant suggestion, I know little about how dynmap works.Is it not possible to have players show up anonymously on Dynmap? So, you'd see a lot of "blips" in Stormfall, some in Katherine, Casval, etc. but there'd be no names attached.

You sir. are a genius. I've done it as a test, have a look!

Would there be a way to have both?

By this I mean know where players are without knowing where specific players are?

Maybe just numbers around the map, like a big number 5 over Luniath cause there are 5 players there currently?

If not that then just blue dots without names where people are, surely that's doable?

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
\ said:
Would there be a way to have both?By this I mean know where players are without knowing where specific players are?

Maybe just numbers around the map, like a big number 5 over Luniath cause there are 5 players there currently?

If not that then just blue dots without names where people are, surely that's doable?
Maybe you should check the map

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
I've reset the poll as i've added a new option, please give us another vote if you have time

Juicy

Bance The Chapper
Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
I've reset the poll as i've added a new option, please give us another vote if you have time
To be honest, This is a better choice than any other. It prevent's people from using the "Metamap" And now It becomes a guide on whats populated, and whats not.

So now we don't have to worry about people using the map for the wrong thing, but they can still use the map to find areas to roleplay.

Dylan_the_undead

The Spiteful
Credits
50.000cr
Any chance this could be multiple vote? The anonymous thing seems like the best choice but I think that if somebody really wanted to they could probably find a way to abuse it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom