• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

Fire (1 Viewer)

Ace_19

Credits
69.434cr
Acey19
Acey19
Patron 5
Can anyone explain to me the way fire works here, and how against metals it's double effective. In nearly every video game fire is found less effective against armored targets. And on the realism side. . .Metal absorbs heat and takes more then a while to heat up to the point of melting. Generally in an area where contact with open air is minimal or none at all because the heat must be that great for that long. So, maybe someone can explain to me?

Ace_19

Credits
69.434cr
Acey19
Acey19
Patron 5
I'd also add, I understand the fantasy aspects. This mage has a super flame fire ball that can do this and this guy shoots hell fire! Yes, I agree maybe an ability or two here or there that holds the power to immolate and melt armor should be a thing, however I've found it a trend that this "Melts armor to skin." And this "Doubles when wearing armor." and that "For some reason gives 3rd degree burns to skin but infuses armor and it's wearer."

llmited

have at em
Lore Team
Event Team
Credits
31.670cr
llmited
llmited
Patron 7
i don't think people should really be emoting that fire melts armor to skin. it'd take a hell of a lot of heat to even attempt doing that. if it's something like lightning though, characters with metal armor should take some more damage, but that's about what i can think of off the top of my head.

Cukie1

Credits
15.475cr
Cukie1
Cukie1
Patron 2
Armor definitely should not be melting to skin. I understand that they may have a risk of burning depending on the specific metal's conductivity to heat, but given people wear gambeson and other layers when wearing armor, I wouldn't say it would guarantee burning. Perhaps burning the layers before automatically burning the skin, or burning any exposed skin.

Moolight

Build Team
Build Team
Credits
21.998cr
Moolight
Moolight
Patron 2
*shrugs in lightning* Never once emoted armor melting to skin. All my pyromancy spells are either dispersed when hitting armor, or warm it slightly at best. I haven't seen armor melting to skin outside of dragonfire.

Last edited:

The Klondikiest Bar

some unimportant gal
Credits
19.479cr
SneksAreTheBest
SneksAreTheBest
Patron 4
I've always had the notion that you would die of heatstroke before armour melted to your skin because even if armour reaches it's melting point, it's likely going to soften at first, rather than immediately turn to liquid. Furthermore, as Ace said, it takes quite a while for metal to heat up to the point of melting, so it's more likely that the metal will heat up, cook the person inside alive, and then maybe start to melt to its skin.

But that would be constant exposure to fire, definitely not a single blast. Unless dragon.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify I don't think that we should replace armour melting to your skin with heatstroke, I meant that it would take a very long time for armour to melt to skin, and a lot of deadly things would happen to the person wearing that armour before it even began to melt.

Last edited:

LordOfTheDank

Annihilator
Whitelister
Credits
19.998cr
LordOfTheDank
LordOfTheDank
Patron 6
i was a little surprised myself but the fire I’ve been given is a lot more effective against armour wielders for some reason and thankfully less so to those who are not wearing metallic armour. Can’t tell you how that works or why but I’m curious to see what answers this thread spawns in regards to that. I have however theorised that it’s perhaps because the fire and flames produced are unlike ordinary fire and are enhanced in such a way to have absurd temperatures? Seeing as their from artificial sources through either magical or divine means. Whereas I’d agree that mundane fire and flames would be categorically less effective against metal and plate wearers.

DayLighter

Lore Printing Press
Lore Team
Build Team
Progression Team
Subscriber
Credits
17.348cr
DayLighter
DayLighter
Patron 7
I only know of a couple divine abilities that work this way- those being for Sol and maybe Veltes (I think, can't remember but I just woke up.) It was given as a tool for people to fight armored opponents. In this case I feel as if realism is being too far observed with 'magical' or 'divine' abilities which are meant to be more fantasy in nature. There's loads of problems with server setting in regards to history, as well as sciences, I can't imagine this is the worst.

RedAttendant

Edgy Triangle
Whitelister
Custom Items Team
Subscriber
Credits
50.000cr
RedAttendant
RedAttendant
Patron 7
Fire is effective against armor on Aeth...? That's news to me. And yeah makes no sense.

Guess not wearing armor is the way to go.

Tybalt

Mad Dog Mattis
Build Team
Credits
-33.421cr
HumpFries123
HumpFries123
Patron 5
I don’t understand how armor is ever a disadvantage against fire. Anything between you and fire is an advantage. And metal is certainly greater protection than flammable padded gambeson, cotton, or whatever fabric unless it’s bunker gear which is tech locked.

Fantasy shouldn’t be an excuse for it. If you’re teaching a student icly how to deal pyromancer you would tell them that wearing armor is the best protection against such since it’s inflammable and it’s an extra layer before it get a to your very much flammable skin.

Why would our characters suddenly say “oh we should do the worse possible decision and it just works and those guys who say the most logical methods don’t know what they are speaking” (because fantasy)

That being said I haven’t seen this as an issue unless it’s dragons which, I imagine stream out fire hotter than fifty forges which is fair.

Last edited:

The Klondikiest Bar

some unimportant gal
Credits
19.479cr
SneksAreTheBest
SneksAreTheBest
Patron 4
I think that divine fire or dragon fire should be the only one that melts armour in such quick a time, as well as specific alchemical fires (witchfire).

Magical fire isn't magic in the fire, it's magic in control and conjuration of fire. The fire itself is the same as any mundane fire. I don't know enough about shamanism to speak to their fire. Alchemical fire, mundane fire, yeah.

I would also add that divine fire and dragon fire should do more damage to non-metal armoured people than metal armoured people (Exceptions like dragon scale armour exist, I'm talking more about normal wood or fabric armour).

As someone who's character never wears metal armour, I would expect my character to be worse off than, say a Reik Rekrut if we were fighting a pyro mage or even a dragon. Especially a dragon.

LordOfTheDank

Annihilator
Whitelister
Credits
19.998cr
LordOfTheDank
LordOfTheDank
Patron 6
I don’t understand how armor is ever a disadvantage against fire. Anything between you and fire is an advantage. And metal is certainly greater protection than flammable padded gambeson, cotton, or whatever fabric unless it’s bunker gear which is tech locked.

Fantasy shouldn’t be an excuse for it. If you’re teaching a student icly how to deal pyromancer you would tell them that wearing armor is the best protection against such since it’s inflammable and it’s an extra layer before it get a to your very much flammable skin.

Why would our characters suddenly say “oh we should do the worse possible decision and it just works and those guys who say the most logical methods don’t know what they are speaking” (because fantasy)

That being said I haven’t seen this as an issue unless it’s dragons which, I imagine stream out fire hotter than fifty forges which is fair.
Well, if we’re talking about Gambeson, leather is a lot more fire resistant. That shit gets hot but don’t burn. Metal however melts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom