• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

How you think Aethier should be? (1 Viewer)

Serethia

The Owner and Founder of Aethier
Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.179cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
Honestly, really simple.. And this may seem straight forward and "unprofessional" but..

Firstly i'd rather this thread stay free from Ratings.. This meaning, please don't click agree or anything similar, state your opinions in a comment please.

Secondly, or what probably should be firstly is that i'd actually like to see what peoples images are for how they think the server should be and ran~

With this, i'm looking for things like: Setting, Rules and Policies, PG Rating, and just about anything you can think of. I'm genuinely curious on what people actually want, and hopefully i might even be able to use some of this, if not make decisions based on what makes it into the thread.. So really, go ahead. There's no risk of being banned providing you don't start insulting someone or breaking rules, so speak your mind! (And for those who are feeling lazy, yes i may provide an incentive to well written and thought out responses based on how good it is!)

Thanks everyone, i look forward to testing my reading ability on you all! (Also please refrain from using weird fonts and rainbow text!)

AGiantPie

Credits
50.000cr
This is extremely free form, so I suppose I might as well start by addressing the few things you bring up. Without further ado, here are some of my thoughts;

1) Setting - I'll be honest, Aethier's setting is slightly odd. Everyone loves to tote around the "Aethier is a MEDIEVAL based server" statement, but this really is not accurately represented. This is probably due to just a general lack of knowledge about the medieval period, or a lack of desire to actually Rp that, but a lot of things about Aethier.. do not feel medieval in any respect. Aethier's setting currently feels to me like a cross between classic fantasy cliches, a generic high school anime, a Victorian era steampunk environment, and Napoleonic War era Europe. Naturally, as someone with a great love for the middle ages, I am displeased by this. I would like to see us abandon our modern mannerisms to focus on more medieval styles of life, but this obviously cannot be forced. Step 1 for me would be abandoning the often senseless tolerance and white knighting. I find that characters are often making decisions based on not wanting to oocly upset others just as much as they are making decisions based on genuine Rp.

2) Rules and Policies - This is a very broad category, and there is a lot that is touched by this. I have some other ideas that I may post at a later date, but for now I will keep it simple. I would like to see 1 rule added to our current list... 'No Mod Shopping.' Several times now, I have seen a player receive a statement from a moderator or an administrator that they do not like, and respond to that statement by asking another staff member or going above that staff member's head and asking their superior. (You were just involved in one of these situations, Nini). This should not at all be allowed. If a staff member gives a ruling, that ruling should stand (And not be overruled) unless it is either outside that staff member's jurisdiction/power to decide on that issue, or the decision breaks Management rules. Trying to abuse the staff team by asking multiple people until you get the desire you want is not ok and should be explicitly against the rules.

Edit: Also, add a tab on the very front page of the forums to go to the rules page. It is hard to find right now.

3) Pg Rating - I find this quite stupid, honestly, at least the ban on swearing (in rp). We have no problem with decapitating, executing, murdering people, but heaven forbid we use the word 'shite' in roleplay. We need to pick a 'Pg' rating that makes sense, and stick to that rating. PG 15 is fine with me, if that means you can swear in Rp, violence is allowed, and basic sexual acts (Ie; kissing, cuddling, but not actual sex) are allowed. Having a consistent, written out ruling on these areas would be helpful.

4) Lore Bloat - This is a random one that I just thought of. I currently think that Aethier is suffering from severe 'lore bloat.' By that, I mean that a lot of lore contradicts itself or other existing lore (Example; lirram). This is due to retcons, the lore team gaining or losing members, staff members making contradictory decisions on lore at different points in time, etc. I think all of our existing lore needs a look at to make sure it agrees with all other lore, and any discrepancies need to be fixed. Combined with that, I think a lot of our lore could be better organized and displayed so that it is easier to find. It's a bit difficult to actually go reading the lore, especially player submitted lore.

May come up with more thoughts later, these are just my initial musings. If others come up with some more 'general categories' to talk about that'd be grand, I'm drawing a blank right now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Monoeye

The Wonder Dictator
Credits
62.276cr
Mono__eye
Mono__eye
Patron 3
I guess i'll give a few shots seeing as how i don't speak much on the forums and am willing to give my opinion, Ill go with the three examples you stated first just to give myself something to write about.

Setting: If this is talking about Setting of the world, What it is now is perfectly fine and functions well, The most i'd like to see happen is perhaps a little more Steampunk-like stuff, This may be an unpopular opinion but i do not mean -Major- Steampunk things like Steam powered super spring hammers or any silly things like that, but perhaps more Steampunk contraptions would be nice to see around the place, That's all really, No eastern content is fine for now as its not really needed, But everything else seems okay.

Rules and Policies: There is nothing really i want to change about these... Most of them seem pretty solid and keep things running in working order, maybe one or two nitpicks i have is as Pie stated, People asking a lot of staff members about things until they get one response they desire and going only by that one, And i see quite a few... well... I cant really explain it but occasionally I've seen someone become a staff member and suddenly they are loved by a lot of players they never usually talked to, Now i know its good to be nice to everyone on this server as being rude gets you nowhere, but i felt like it was something i should state.

PG Rating: Apart from feeling more OOC related than OOC and IC, This is pretty solid as it is now, The PG rule is at a relatively flexible rating as its neither too low or too high, It keeps a lot of things in line and the server seems better off ever since it got bumped up from 13 to 15, Perhaps the Filter on OOC could be worked on a little more as its a little too sensitive in some cases (E.G. Pistons to Peepeetons) and maybe a written guide somewhere to say what curse words would be allowed in role-play chat (if any), But other than these, its a pretty solid thing as it is right now.

I may add more things as i think of them so if you are interested please occasionally check this reply, And i am sorry if it was not too fleshed out as i cannot write for too long without my hands aching and my attention getting distracted, but i hope this was enough for a decent response to your question, and i hope it helps. <3

Olympea_Espa

Credits
50.000cr
(I knew @AGiantPie would jump at this!!
Kidding, kidding)

I have to agree with several of his points, excluding the currently very popular subjects of Lirram (Given as an example in 4) Lore Bloat, which I in itself cannot agree) and the Mod Shopping difference (As I believe there are enough rules and there is enough confusion and ruling as it is)

Rules and Policies: All around I would work on getting a system going that SOMEHOW makes things more accessible. With this I am referencing the fact that some rules can be found on the forums (under 80 different sub-forums and threads scattered across the website) and some just in-game. I believe this creates a lot of confusion and perhaps one day (When there is less going on) Everyone should sit down and get the giant construct of rules and regulations untangled and made readable and understandable.

I personally must admit that what may irritate me is the ruling on child characters. I disagree with the sentiment of being allowed to role-play children in this 'setting'.

PG Rating: Otherwise with the PG rating (PG 15 as Pie Suggested, don't even know what it is now) I am content and I find it adequate for the player base the server as whole hopes to attract. Anything below would be silly simply because some characters are very promiscuous and focus on romance RP, and other players love torturing and slaughtering other characters in the most gruesome of ways.

Setting:

This is the part I may have the most to say on. It makes me ask a very decisive question: What exactly is our setting? Because at this point, aside from the word Medieval and High Fantasy, I have not been able to make out a concrete setting. I am sure that this is unintentional and that most of it is out of your hands due to the heavy influence of players, but it all just seems like a giant tangled mess sometimes. Cannons are not allowed, but there's ships with sometimes three decks of cannons. There's an abundant supply of food for everyone, but there's about 0.00005% of land used for agriculture and barely any account of how 8.4% of the server's population can consist of Lirram (This is not any hate against the race of lirram or anything, just the amount of lirram).

Olympea_Espa

Credits
50.000cr
Addition: After reading some revival applications, I think that there should be some LIGHT restrictions on the extent of brutality on the server. I'm not asking to wash everything down to punches and slaps, but drying someone in a herb box? Like... (No offense @Rhadimanthius I just thought it was the best example) ... I know Rhad isn't sick but that kind of is crossing a certain line in both taste and most definitely the PG rating.

^Another reason why I am against child RP. That and the incidents on the Experiments Isle.

ItsRhad

((who))
Banned
Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
(No offense @Rhadimanthius I just thought it was the best example) ... I know Rhad isn't sick but that kind of is crossing a certain line in both taste and most definitely the PG rating.
I will note-

None of the RP that I do in this is any worse than the event RP that is done with Khisa the Lich Lord. I do not say anything graphic, or grotesque in any manner- in fact, it is usually incredibly vague and bland, where I could describe in much more detail.

However, I would like clarification as to what is in the PG rating.

Belle Delphine

Buy my bath water
Credits
51.971cr
ScriptKitty
ScriptKitty
Patron 7
\ said:
Addition: After reading some revival applications, I think that there should be some LIGHT restrictions on the extent of brutality on the server. I'm not asking to wash everything down to punches and slaps, but drying someone in a herb box? Like... (No offense @Rhadimanthius I just thought it was the best example) ... I know Rhad isn't sick but that kind of is crossing a certain line in both taste and most definitely the PG rating.^Another reason why I am against child RP. That and the incidents on the Experiments Isle.
I just want to say.. this isn't even bad.. it seems bad because it was a sinnehliv.. but if you go and ask solrex what was done to deva this doesn't even compare.

Belle Delphine

Buy my bath water
Credits
51.971cr
ScriptKitty
ScriptKitty
Patron 7
\ said:
I just want to say.. this isn't even bad.. it seems bad because it was a sinnehliv.. but if you go and ask solrex what was done to deva this doesn't even compare.
And- to clarify nothing was overly graphic. C:

Olympea_Espa

Credits
50.000cr
@Nuddle I read, and it only solidifies my opinion.

@Rhadiamanthius No worries, I dont know any comparisons, I simply find the manners of death rather gruesome and inappropriate. I am all for a darker theme, but that mustn't encompass saw-style deaths. That's my opinion on the fashion of some murders on the server, and it does not influence my opinion on you as a person.

ItsRhad

((who))
Banned
Credits
50.000cr
Oh-

And to note something that is more about In-Character restrictions/policies and the general RP environment.

I wish there was more of a ground for evil characters to exist on- being I've attempted to further the existence of CN to CE characters by harboring them and protecting them from the overly zealous population of white-knights, I believe some of the negatives to playing an evil character should be lightened, or perhaps even nerfing the benefits to playing a white knight.

This is an extension in part, of a discussion I had with @Zickery , about a different situation for revivals.

I understand that revivals are being re-worked slightly, but in my opinion a situation where you can be revived without repercussion, that essentially canters towards characters that do not involve themselves in any form of risky behavior, or involve themselves simply because they can't be lost- as no perma flag. If there were a re-work that limited it to say, a singular revival situation, or maybe two, the server essentially gives you a freebie revival, but after that you must be more careful with your RP, being aware that it is similar to real life in that dead- is well, permanently dead.

DelendaEst

a formidable opponent,,,
Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
This is an extension in part, of a discussion I had with @Zickery , about a different situation for revivals.I understand that revivals are being re-worked slightly, but in my opinion a situation where you can be revived without repercussion, that essentially canters towards characters that do not involve themselves in any form of risky behavior, or involve themselves simply because they can't be lost- as no perma flag. If there were a re-work that limited it to say, a singular revival situation, or maybe two, the server essentially gives you a freebie revival, but after that you must be more careful with your RP, being aware that it is similar to real life in that dead- is well, permanently dead.
I wholly agree with you about revivals. Death has lost a lot of meaning on Aethier simply because you always have revivals as a crutch.

My suggestion would be that each time a player is revived, they must roll on a table that determines the consequence of being rezzed. For instance, Joe Blow gets killed in an alley for his coin, he's found by the healers and promptly brought back to life - however - before he can continue roleplaying he must roll a 1d100.

0 - 10 = Revival fails11 - 20 = Left hand loses function

21 - 30 = Right hand loses function

31 - 40 = Memory loss
etc.

LilHarrison2u

The Ivengarde Police
Credits
50.000cr
Setting: I find it confusing at times. It's really very hard to RP successfully if you are playing parts that aren't Middle/High Class. For instance if a Low Class Character wants to engage in a revolt against the higher classes(As usual in most economic systems eventually) They really can't because most people either play High-middle class characters. And I don't know how low-class characters being NPCs works. It just makes the entire economy hard to grasp. Onto the Politics of Aethius. Is it a Monarchy? Plutocracy? Republic? Confusing and hard to RP if you have characters with certain affiliations. Onto Culture. It's bland. No real uniform standard of how people are. You could both be Dwarfs and one could act macho like a dwarf usually does. Or the other could be an well read, fed, and bred dwarf. Transportation: Incredibly unrealistic. Waypoints, make it too fast, and the timers on Boats and Carriages should be a lot longer to simulate how long it actually took to travel city to city.

Rules and Policies: Being an Anarchist, this may come to be a surprise, but I really don't care about the rules. They seem fine. They don't seem to restrict me uncomfortably, so whatevs.

PG Rating: I don't like how low the rating is. We should definitely be allowed curses IC. OOC I have no problem with stopping people from OOC hating. But we have to make it as close as comfortable to the real world where the rating is R. I suggest a rating of PG-17. Allowing explicit sexual acts, (Kissing, cuddling, hugging, whatnot, NO SEXUAL INTERCOURSE) But ease up on the cursing restrictions. No F-word but in the real world calling someone a "bi*ch" is regular. Calling someone a "Bast*rd" is regular. "Sh*t" Is regular. Catch my drift? Sorry about the cursing.

Anything More: Piggybacking off of Rhad, It's very easy to be a Lawful Character. It's very easy to be a "good" character, in fact I feel that some people just make "Good" characters so they can abuse under the name of "Law". While there are characters who are good, but get hunted by the law because the law doesn't see their cause as good. Just find a platform for "Robin Hoods" and Evil Characters to even out their playing field. Because my character who was simply against the crown because the Crown Guard was generally abusive, he got arrested 4 times just for saying the crown was abusive, murdered by a religious fanatic in prison not because of the law, but because he badmouthed the gods.

I respectfully disagree with Delenda and Rhad on revivals. Revivals are incredibly important for people who just exist and get mud-slashed as they are just walking down the street. Or they say one thing someone disagrees with, and dies for it. I know in Medieval times, "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick" was the main policy, but I jsut think it's unfair to some characters who die not for their fault or because they were simply peacefully coexisting and someone thought it'd be nice to slaughter them.

AGiantPie

Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
Firstly i'd rather this thread stay free from Ratings.. This meaning, please don't click agree or anything similar, state your opinions in a comment please.
Daily reminder. Read the Op you bloody memers. =.=

In response to Rhadi... I think you are looking at this state of affairs from the wrong set of mind. We should not be looking at characters from an OOC perspective and rating them as "good" and "evil." To do so is to drastically reduce the quality of the actual roleplay present. Real people act on their beliefs, and generally believe their beliefs to be morally sound and correct. No one really considers themselves to be "evil," and to pass judgement on characters being good or evil is completely pointless. We don't need to "Buff" or "Nerf" people who are "Evil," as this has absolutely no meaning. If you mean that we should make it easier for people to murder, or harder for people to enforce the law, that has more value, because it's an actual physical thing we can look at. Saying that we should "make it 'harder' to be 'good'" doesn't really give us any frame of reference.

DelendaEst

a formidable opponent,,,
Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
I respectfully disagree with Delenda and Rhad on revivals. Revivals are incredibly important for people who just exist and get mud-slashed as they are just walking down the street. Or they say one thing someone disagrees with, and dies for it. I know in Medieval times, "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick" was the main policy, but I jsut think it's unfair to some characters who die not for their fault or because they were simply peacefully coexisting and someone thought it'd be nice to slaughter them.
Bad people exist. If you don't want to be killed, you should hire bodyguards or live in a guarded area.

LilHarrison2u

The Ivengarde Police
Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
Bad people exist. If you don't want to be killed, you should hire bodyguards or live in a guarded area.
Fair enough. But what about Arendan? An unstoppable force when it comes to combat. You just peacefully coexisting, and you disagree with him, or follow him to protect someone he's about to murder, and he whips out his dragon thing(Which is apparently an Animal that can be used in Combat o_O) and shoots an Arcane Missile at you outta nowhere.

Belle Delphine

Buy my bath water
Credits
51.971cr
ScriptKitty
ScriptKitty
Patron 7
\ said:
Fair enough. But what about Arendan? An unstoppable force when it comes to combat. You just peacefully coexisting, and you disagree with him, or follow him to protect someone he's about to murder, and he whips out his dragon thing(Which is apparently an Animal that can be used in Combat
) and shoots an Arcane Missile at you outta nowhere.
Get good, or don't make him angry.

AGiantPie

Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
Fair enough. But what about Arendan? An unstoppable force when it comes to combat. You just peacefully coexisting, and you disagree with him, or follow him to protect someone he's about to murder, and he whips out his dragon thing(Which is apparently an Animal that can be used in Combat
I mean he doesn't do that though. This goes back to Hello_All mentioning that there are a lot of nigh invincible characters around and that is kind of an issue.

Tybalt

Mad Dog Mattis
Build Team
Credits
-33.421cr
HumpFries123
HumpFries123
Patron 5
\ said:
I have no answer then to get good. Find someone to train you. And someone who has a grasp on irk medieval weapons and armpit or else your training will mean almost nothing.

There are people on this server who excels at combat RP and asking them to Not do as good as they do so you can win. Because I'm RP and irl, a legitimate Well trained Knight did in fact mow through people of lesser training and those that hades efficient equipment. They are the medieval equivalent of a tank. (not saying your doing it by no means, but I've seen it before)

Pannade

It's pronounced "Pannabae"
Credits
50.000cr
Greetings!

While I have no business with the rating or problems with the type of characters, I do have some things to say!

When speaking of setting, we should all take everything with a grain of salt, as everyone has a different opinion on it. So prepare to get salty, kids.

Containing people with a concrete setting is nigh-impossible, because, again, people have ideas. That's why we claim to be "based" in medieval time, with high fantasy elements. I would argue that an argument over how to deal with the setting is a good thing, as it's a sign of a diverse and growing community. But it's still something that could be re-interpreted dozens of times. So, instead of having a time-period that we're stuck in, that we can only change so much, something that evolves with the server might be worth a try. Now, now, bear with me here, my ideas aren't always the best, and I always have a hard time putting them into words, but just be a bear. Just don't bite me. So, I haven't been around long enough to see any major lore stuff happen (or maybe I'm just not paying attention), but I know how it goes down. You can't please everyone. Hold up, wrong train. Lemme hop over to another idea completely. Technology in the real world can advance in leaps and bounds, or it can be a struggle, fought by many minds. Just because people like an idea doesn't mean it's going to happen over night. Fusion, for example. That stuff is great, but it costs billions of dollars, years of research, tests, and dozens of scientists to advance it at all. We still can't do it, no matter how much we want to. Technology, I think, is the thing people worry about much in a setting. Without steam power, Steampunk is a bunch of people is ridiculous hats. Basically, I think if we want to change the setting, it should be done through hard work of characters. Trial and error, all that jazz. These things take time, and that should be reflected in roleplay. It's true that there are occasional geniuses who are all genius-y and do some fancy science stuff, but, for the most part, settings take time to change. That would make the lore team's job harder, though, and so I shouldn't suggest that.

If anyone ever asks you if Pannade can idea, point to that and say: "No."

Right, there was something I actually wanted to talk about.

The forums!

They're good. I like how it doesn't burn my eyes when I look at it. However, there were some things that were briefly touched on that I'd like to talk about.

I dunno how much freedom you get with the forums, but there are some minor things that annoy me, personally. Time, for one. A purely human concept, and it is therefore foolish. However, it is very convenient. The front page of the forums has a little clock, which is nice. But it doesn't say what timezone the server is in. I'm pretty sure it's GMT, but it'd be nice if events and such on the forums were measured in GMT +/- whatever.

The home page is nice, but only if you're in the loop. New players most likely want to click the "Home" tab on the thing you see when you click the Google result aaaand I'm not making any sense. When you Google "Aethier" you click on the page called "Aethier Home", because it's in big letters and looks friendly. The first thing you see are a bunch of fancy screenshots. Nice, yeah? They are nice. I suspect that that page was a marketing tactic, but it offends me. I guess it worked, though, this place is hopping.

Let me get back on track. Organization on the forums works, but it can take a while to get where you want. Organizing things is hard, though, so I won't make a bunch of suggestions and act like I'm any better.

Sorry if I lost you at any point during that! I sound better in person, I swear. Ahh, that's what you all really want to see with Aethier. More of Pannade on TS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom