• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

Metal Working and Smithing (1 Viewer)

Gremlin

Credits
50.000cr
I was recently doing some research into metal working and general evolution of metal working in the world.

Something hit me that kind of ruined RP a little. Starting out on the server I may be uninformed, so I wanted to ask you all on the forums. I was lead to believe that iron working was basic and the starting level for the servers blacksmiths. Which does not add up.

In world history Iron and steel are the highest level metals in the medieval era. So why starting out is iron working where all smiths seem to start?

In realistic terms this is how things were discovered and worked:

Gold, Copper, Bronze, Brass, Iron, Steel, (for the lore) then Dwarven Steel.

Maybe that is just me over thinking how things should be RPed or me not understanding how its currently worked.

Another thing is the blacksmiths (from what I have been told) never actually RP how things are made. They just say they learned how to do it over time. Is that a wrong statement? If not....is that not a little odd as well?

Any input would be appreciated.

Finis987

Finnis the Finnis'd Finniser.
Credits
50.000cr
I do believe this belief that iron is a starter metal on the server is an unfortunate effect from skyrim. As it was the first items you made and were often the most common.

As for blacksmiths not effectively rping there creations is a simple , the person is being lazy. If You believe a person is guilty of this a reminder is best. as people become lazy. If it continues you can contact staff to deal with it. Hope this helps

Gremlin

Credits
50.000cr
With all new blacksmiths (as current ones can not really change) i think they need reminded of the order of things as far as learning.

And with the lazy RP i will do so.

Dwarf

Credits
50.000cr
I think the reason for iron being the starting point for smiths on most fantasy games is because of the other metals in these fantasy games. Metals that don't exist in real life such as orcidium, dwarven steel, daedric, etc. All those fantasy metals, I believe are supposed to be greater than iron/steel making them the one of the weaker metals along with gold, copper, bronze, and brass. Though I don't play a smith I don't know much about smithing so I could be entirely wrong. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

Swaggernaut
Credits
50.000cr
I haven't thought about this very much, and you bring up a good point. But there's a reason why people start out working with iron. Simple. It's just as Finis has said, there are those who just think that iron is a baseline, beginner material. Along with this, there are still limitations to what we can visualize in Minecraft as a platform. Sure, you could add in the copper, bronze, and such as custom items... One of several problems is that it'd just be a pain to implement- The items are just not in the game and generally will be forgotten or disregarded. It's easier to just use a starting point that most people are familiar with. There's a point where you have to draw a line between the game and realism.

Honestly, I don't mind the current system since people are used to it after working with games such as Skyrim. Unless people start out making the finest steel weapons with the experience of a master on day one, I wouldn't think to say anything about it.

Just my two cents on the subject.

Gremlin

Credits
50.000cr
Yes iron was discovered in earlier times. But no one had a clue how to use it. It wasn't until late in the medieval ages that smiths finally could work it properly.

As blacksmiths are not huge on the server (3 of us with a few trainees) i think we should just try and enforce learning the other materials first. As they are very easy to work with. It wouldn't take long. For the gold, copper, and bronze any smith could learn it in 1 week IRL. If they play 2 or so hours a day and RP it (just a rough estimate). Brass, iron, steel, then dwarven steel i think should then be learned at the discretion of the player.

It would be the current blacksmiths job to try and teach that to new players. Also general players to talk to new ones about it. And that's my thoughts on it. As in the medieval ages they had all that technology to work those 3 starter materials, it wouldn't take long to learn. Just get the knowledge into the new smith. Brass was a tricky alloy, and not widely made. So that could never be learned. If they choose. Then the 3 highest tiers of metals would be learned like they are now. Just a week or so in.

Gremlin

Credits
50.000cr
\ said:
That depends if those with the knowledge are willing to share.
I already am training 2 new smiths. And i am teaching them that way. The one other smith i know of is training 2 people but teaching them the old way.

Duncan Steelfist

Humanity will endure
Credits
50.000cr
Duncania_Y
Duncania_Y
Patron 4
\ said:
I already am training 2 new smiths. And i am teaching them that way. The one other smith i know of is training 2 people but teaching them the old way.
<-- @Seth Jenkins and I aren't training anyone to my knowledge and I'm one of the oldest chaps around who knows da artz.

B

Banned User

\ said:
All i can say is i very very often see players with diamond swords. We still dont have diamond swords irl soooo.... Just dont think to hard im afraid.
Yo, Please don't Necro threads unless its a rather sensitive thread.

We consider Necroing over 30 days of age.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom