• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

Reboot? (1 Viewer)

To Reboot, or not to Reboot, that is the Question.

• Total voters

DayLighter

Lore Printing Press
Lore Team
Build Team
Progression Team
Subscriber
Credits
17.348cr
DayLighter
DayLighter
Patron 7

Nonsense?

Well, I have thought about making this thread for some time, but it has recently become very apparent that the server has hit new levels of stagnation and unprecedented lows. Fall and Summer are the low periods for the server, however there are times which once held high numbers, but barely reach over twenty people. RP feels more decentralized than ever, and players find little to do other than collect resources to have that really neat sword (to fight what??? to do what???). This is by no means okay. Aethier has always had a tendency to have players use lore, bend and break it to make themselves the strongest of people. It has now reached the point where many of the players are 'end game', where they hold materials so strong that none can face them, or blessings so strong they are infallible, or silly to defeat. ​

​

This is not okay.​

​

We are better than this and have been better than this. When applying to the server, an RP server, we admit that we are coming here to create a story together, and to rp with friends and people we have known for years, or people we met about an hour ago. The problem is, RP is comfortable, for quite a few number of reasons. All of the major leaders of politics have done so through hardwork and trial, yet some of which have gone inactive. It's often asked why none rebel to fight them, or why no one has any opposition before, but that is due to the conventions we put in place ourselves.​

​

I could ramble on and on and on about what is an issue with the server, and try to sway you to my side, but I instead will address what I wish to propose, and hope to see where Aethier stands on coming to a resolution to this stagnation. I propose an 'Aethier 2.0', a near complete wipe of characters, items, and the map. Everyone would be starting new and from the bottom to work their way upwards. "But wait! My work! If you take away my character- I will leave the server!" - While I do understand this plight, and have at times felt like this before (so I can sympathize) I do believe it is necessary to start anew. I have ideas for a setting that could take place if such a start were to happen, and loads of ideas to make a fulfilling and interactive world. The problem is most of what holds the server back cannot be fixed without going back and ripping out the weeds of the garden. We have fixed lore so many times, made retcons, and done sloppy, half-assed attempts of implementing new lore. This would wipe the slate clean and give new grounds to work with.​

​

This is by no means an official poll, do make any suggestions if the options in the poll do not suit you. Thank you for listening to my small rant, and feel free to comply your own opinions as responses.​

Tybalt

Mad Dog Mattis
Build Team
Credits
-33.421cr
HumpFries123
HumpFries123
Patron 5
Option 2 is a big f-you to any development or aspirations litterally any player could have and would ruffle way too many feathers.

I know you go through characters like you're George R.R. Martin but I don't think it's feasible or really ethical to force that upon people in mass. 

A new map would be nice but if I'm honest, I think a big part of stagnation is due to the lack of a compelling current campaign and low player counts and playtime of members.

Thats why I didn't stick around the first time I came to Aethier. Came back when Uth and Hw collapsed and found the Exodus and then the mimic campaign enjoyable in its own ways but I mostly liked RPing with the vast numbers of people and interacting with different groups.

Naturally overtime IC conflict and resolution has brought a lot of the community together either through cooperation or assimilation. Nobody wants to start conflict anymore becauss (at least how I feel) there is no reason to ic and oocly most people will not betray their core circle of friends. 

I think us older players are just disillusioned now. We know everything that has happened and what's in the works and when something new is implemented we saw it coming and it provides no shock and awe. Kinda like season 7 of GoT.  We've seen it all.

Ao so the best thing really that can happen is for a spike in new players. That would require a shift in focus to retaining new players and forcing ourselves to muscle through a new campaign where the the "yellow names" and our players hat are not veterans is our main concern. Which will require restraint from Norheim, Thrakes, The Imperium from trying to hold glory or better themselves through it and allow new players into the field.

It would require us old players to take guiding and aupport roles to new players and sacfrifice a bit of our short term enjoyment for that of others. And I do believe that those players who rise in reputation ic and leadership skills ooc during that period of time will give back to the server in the form of severing stagnation with their own ambitions. 

I remember as as a newer player on HW during one of their campaigns. I was rather upset that every event in it was dominated by a handful of older players and admins and they kept that strangled grip over the story by forcing all the players that didn't really matter away when they wanted to be involved. And downgraded them to nothing but cannon fodder which is not enjoyable if we were to be honest. 

I may may be rambling but perhaps it's something to think about 

Payne

Scorcher
Banned
Credits
50.000cr
Raphael_Payne
Raphael_Payne
Patron 6
This leaves the server open to new things, but the drawbacks could be immeasurable- if it were guaranteed that our server pop would be stable, this would have me interested.

The Moontani

the guy
Banned
Credits
50.000cr
lol there aren't many people that are actually endgame

Rebooting won't fix anything. Remember when it last happened and the server was completely dead for 3 months because there were no completed builds whatsoever??

Shale

Professional Satyrist
Credits
50.466cr
Shale_
Shale_
Patron 1
A reboot would shake things up, certainly, but to actually make a difference the systems and policies that lead to the state the server's in currently have to be examined and reworked.

Bromophobe

Captain Chromosome
Credits
49.980cr
SoSmoothTho
SoSmoothTho
Patron 1
My sole issue is that I like playing my current characters, even if it would open the whole stuff to new opportunities, works such as cultures and pièces of writing that have taken months to create will be wiped. I speak for my culture thread, but for instance the Kholta-Vesol or even the complex Norheim culture would be all gone to waste. Now nothing stops us from doing them again (I might not play the current characters I had, but you can be assured I'll continue writing that darn celtic elf until its finished) but then what's the point?

I think a well thought out and well applied world change will be a better solution for anybody. Those who seem to think that their characters are getting boring, or simply have reached 'endgame' status can simply be killed off, or sent to another plane of existence, or shelved, or something led by the ET. I know its a lot of work, but I believe to make a proper event line foreshadowing this impossible change, would be better for everybody than just taking the cheap way off and wiping everybody.

Arcturio

Baruk Khazad!
Credits
69.876cr
Vindicatur
Vindicatur
Patron 6
Pertaining to builds; Build team, Seano and I and others would surely be able to just re-use builds; aka, builds are easily not the problem.

Nerdlord57

The 57th Lord of the Nerds!
Credits
50.000cr
NerdLord57
NerdLord57
Patron 3
In all honestly, I'd vote for the second option if there was lore to go off beforehand to create an interesting character with a decent idea of what to do with them or what their beliefs COULD be- though this could just be me. *Shrug*

Though, as stated above. .rebooting could a few issues and it'd be quite time consuming to those having to make the new world, and to the LT for having to create all the new lore..

ThatRainbowKitty

fresh heckers!!
Credits
36.860cr
ThatRainbowKitty
ThatRainbowKitty
Patron 2
Well the idea of a complete reboot seems gladly awful to me, even though a fresh new start would manage to help the server vary just a bit. However, the lore would still be the same, the influence people have oocly would still be the same, the ways people RP would still be the same, the staff, event team, whitelisting team, what would you would still be the same. Not that any of these are actually pejorative in any way. The only people who might think going back to zero is a good idea would be those not concerned, like people in very late endgame who already have everything and are somewhat tired or bored of this or those with barely nothing, be it in character progression, artefacts, lore items and so on. 

Maybe there is another issue here than what truly lies in game, an essential fact about the server in itself or how people see it that denigrates Aethier's potential, or maybe Minecraft Roleplay is already so obnubilated by other bigger servers like LoTC and co. that we the smaller servers face a deficit in the actual playerbase we can attract, much like Linux when faced against Microsoft or Apple. 

But if the first option is valid, then we should obviously talk about it, find ways to figure out what's wrong, discuss possible solutions like a complete reboot or partial reboot. In other words, since we are the Aethier playerbase, we should most likely debate about in a friendly tone, and maybe find other solutions than simply restarting the server.

i mean tf would i know about this

Last edited by a moderator:

natureluvr

Princess
Developer
Technical Support
Forum Administrator
Lore Team
Subscriber
Credits
5.595cr
natureluvr7
natureluvr7
Patron 7
Just gonna put this out there if you forcibly kill off characters in a restart you're going to lose what players you do have.

DayLighter

Lore Printing Press
Lore Team
Build Team
Progression Team
Subscriber
Credits
17.348cr
DayLighter
DayLighter
Patron 7
Just gonna put this out there if you forcibly kill off characters in a restart you're going to lose what players you do have.
I do think people misinterpret what the second option is implicating to a degree. My suggestion is not to take people's characters away, but almost overhaul them in a sense where they fit in with a new environment. I do think people's large bonuses etc should be removed, and their histories fixed to fit a new setting, but that's my personal view. The poll is to show what other's think on the matter. All critique/input is totally welcome though!

natureluvr

Princess
Developer
Technical Support
Forum Administrator
Lore Team
Subscriber
Credits
5.595cr
natureluvr7
natureluvr7
Patron 7
I do think people misinterpret what the second option is implicating to a degree. My suggestion is not to take people's characters away, but almost overhaul them in a sense where they fit in with a new environment. I do think people's large bonuses etc should be removed, and their histories fixed to fit a new setting, but that's my personal view. The poll is to show what other's think on the matter. All critique/input is totally welcome though!

Okay so, keeping the character alive but revoking all of their character development? Doesn't sound much better.

Bratman38

The Man who seems to be Everywhere
Credits
50.000cr
Bratman38
Bratman38
Patron 1
I think of a reboot as a cool idea but I feel like people will just do the same thing with the same empire and same people ruling it and it would just have restarted for nothing but like I said, The reboot seems like a cool idea

Abbi

Not!Syrien Shaman
Whitelister
Credits
68.876cr
angelhugz247
angelhugz247
Patron 7
My two cents: What would this change? How I see it- History has a tendency to repeat itself, even if not obvious.

Kyle1322

Master Hand & Crazy Hand
Team Leader
Loremaster
Forum Administrator
Event Team
Credits
15.490cr
kyle1322
kyle1322
Patron 7
To give a brief-The staff team HAS seen this and we have had a discussion, though not much is rock solid, on behalf of them and I, we can say that this is now a consideration due to community interest. Please, do not stop sending your feedback, as this thread will be heavily monitored, however I urge you to remember nothing is set in stone as of right now.

DelendaEst

a formidable opponent,,,
Credits
50.000cr
I definitely prefer option 3 to option 2, but I'm not opposed to a fresh slate. And I'll fight any mellow Mike who disagrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromophobe

Captain Chromosome
Credits
49.980cr
SoSmoothTho
SoSmoothTho
Patron 1
I'll just add to my point. Take an MMO. The devs realize there's an issue with their game. There is less activity, conflicts and arcs start to become redundant, etc. So they choose to say: "In twenty days, we'll be making a massive reboot. World map is changing, characters will be reduced to level one and any rare drops/loot will be erased and reworked, in addition a new expansion'll show up." Now for those who have loads of characters that's no problem. For those who have completed their characters and done whatever content the MMO had to offer, they couldn't really care less because they might be bored and want something different. See new things. New players with less developed characters don't have much to regret, yet the midgame players. The ones who are trying to reach the top or aspire to finish whatever content or goal they set themselves will be he ones to get angry or frustrated. 

Now as Val placed it, it's difficult to compare a rp server to an MMO. But the player reactions remain the same. Those who it doesn't affect are the first to think its fine to restart anew. Those who are still working at it will see their efforts crushed. 

From a technical point of view, a reboot is an easy way of implementing change. Yet with some thinking and effort, that too is possible without sacrificing other player's progression. The easy way isn't always the best way. 

No need to do some Exodus, or some massive interplanar voyage. A world changing event - akin to WoW's Cataclysm  expansion - could just do the trick. Naturally it should have devastating consequences, not everybody or everything comes out unscathed or survives, but the chance is there. It shouldn't be a Deus Ex Machina either, but an event line or multiple event lines that foreshadow its arrival. There's little way to stop it, but there is a way to survive. 

Anyway, change the world, don't erase it. 

. /rant over

GeFoxx

You shall not trespass.
Subscriber
Credits
50.153cr
GeFoxx
GeFoxx
Patron 3
No to character reset.
I spent my dear little time that I have in my life to develop them, to write stuff for them, put thought into them and make their profiles look nice.
And I'm doing such equally among six characters. I'd hate to see all of it go to waste because of a simple reset.
As to the map. There's so much yet left to discover and explore. To be honest, most of the events right now happen in Norheim, though. Maybe that's because there's people ICly looking for them at a constant basis, but I see nothing of the sort happening in the west. I feel like that's where things need improvement.

If there is a new map, make it a single continent with perhaps a few small islands. It makes much more sense, and it's much easier to distribute things over such. Though I really think at the moment it's unnecessary.

Desolator

Credits
50.000cr
Speaking as a player that has been gone for a while, I know that many of my friends left the server because of the oppressive nature of the Empire. Most of them played non-humans, specifically Lirram and Vilo. They left because of the Empire's "KOS" rule for their races made it very difficult for them to get any RP, since all the RP hubs were Imperial-affiliated cities, and if they went there for RP, they risked being murdered because of their race. Based on the new political/war system, it seems extremely difficult for players to form their own factions and elevate those factions to a nation. If I were to declare the desert part of the east to be a kingdom under my rule and not part of the Empire, how long would I last before the Empire launches an invasion? If you have a faction that controls the entire world and that faction is oppressive in nature, then new players who are unfamiliar with the server might be driven away. Lirram typically face a lot of ridicule and prejudice on the server. No one really cares if a lirram is killed. In the Empire, if you kill a lirram for no reason, instead of being arrested for murder, you might get a pat on the back for exterminating another vermin. If a new player comes on the server, and wants to have fun as a lirram, and they get killed real quick, they're gonna leave and not come back. Especially if people tell them "Oh, well, you shouldn't have played a lirram, ya dummy!"

Now, the problem isn't really the people that run the Empire. It's the idea of the Empire itself. When you advertise to prospective players that Aethier is a fun, friendly, player-oriented environment designed to allow players to be whoever they want to be or do whatever they want to do, having one faction/nation rule the world is a bad idea. Why? Because that faction will invetiably prevent players from pursing their adventures. If I wanted to establish a lirram kingdom, would I be able to do that? Probably not. Why? Because the Empire encourages people to kill lirrams, and if a lirram nation was formed, it would be crushed very quickly. Having multiple factions/nations enables players to pursue their RP to the best of their ability. It could also lead to war RP, which I was told was the original goal of Kolchrave when they returned and began their imperial ambitions. 

All in all, I think a map/trait/political reboot would be good for Aethier. It would give new players the chance to compete for God championships, instead of trying to wrestle them out of the OP hands of who currently has them. It would also disrupt the dominating power of the Empire, and would encourage players to make their own faction without having to worry about being crushed or denied a region because of one player's disapproval. I know that if a map/trait reboot happened, a lot of players (including myself) would start being active on the server again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom