• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

Subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Serethia

The Owner and Founder of Aethier
Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.145cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
So a hot topic really when it comes to the end of the month for me honestly is paying the bills for Aethier.

For those who don't know, all things included if you add up the costs for Everything we need to keep Aethier up over the year, and Divide that figure by 12 (Months), you get little over $400 in expenses. Now, this is the figure we spend, so take into consideration the 20% VAT and paypal figures ontop of that, and suddenly that figure becomes almost $500 that we need to run every month.

Sounds really farfetched right? Yeah, trust me it annoys the heck out of me too. The base cost of the Server box itself is a whopping $230 but considering that thing runs our entire network infrastructure i'm not really complaining. We kinda get what we pay for.. Its having to pay for the Forum Licences, Web server Licences, the Buycraft Subscription and all the other shit that brings up the figure.

Long gone are the days that you got plugins from Bukkit.org where they had rules against charging for plugins. Ever since the Bukkit DMCA and the SpongePowered split, Spigot lit up as the Plugin Developers central, and offered the ability for Devs to actually charge for their plugins, and can you guess what happened when Minecraft 1.10 came out? All the plugins we used, suddenly needed to be paid for? That never really stopped, and to think things like this exist on Invision Power Board:

Like what is even this Hide Link one, and why the hell are you trying to charge $12.50 for it?

And then someone had the nerve to make this:

$125... What the actual fuck. Damn right nobody was stupid enough to pay for that. Who would pay the yearly renewal fee for the forum software on an addon. And a further $60 every 6 months.. Developers are just getting plain greedy.

Still, that doesnt mean we are getting away scott free though. The past 6 months have been one hell of a financial drian on Aethier, and quite franctly, we've started to come to the end of the "Excess" funding we've been hapilly sat on. The reality is that we're starting to run short, and its in my best interests to keep things going. So first and foremost, i have to start making cutbacks where possible. How and what i have to cut out, is another question really.. But i also need to consider new ways of being able to reliably being able to pay Aethiers bills.

For anyone who isn't aware, Aethier makes 10% of its Monthly Income from Patron Ranks, 40%ish from Arune Shipments, and usually 50% from the Patron Crate. Sounds awesome yeah, but as many of you may know, we recently missed a crate, and also there is a new Staff Backed "IC Currency" that denounces and de-purposes the Arune to quite an extreme degree. With little to nothing to spend the Arune on since the Tax sheet was also stopped, you can probably guess that while it was a great move to make ICly, it was a fairly bad one in the terms of Financial Stability, especially to cut out such a huge portion of the Servers required income too. (Edit: I want to make it clear that i like the idea of an IC currency, and i'm not bashing it. Its just the other side of things I felt important to mention is all! Please do NOT take the above statement as an attack as it is not meant as one in any way.)

So here, there came some thinking. How to "Bounce back"? For that, i came up with the idea of not only ensuring the crate gets consistently delivered without fail every month from now on, but also to re-introduce subscriptions to the server. Say we had a $5 or $10 option for a monthly recurring subscription, and added various perks, we could effectivley slash down the amount we need to make off the excess purchases, and give Aethier back the financial stability it once had. I know this post is going to sound extreme, or grabby, or needy or whatever people might call it, but i just want to make sure this place sticks around for the years to come.

For that though, this is where all of you come in. I'd honestly like some advice from you all. What would you all want in a subscription?

• What Tiers would you think i should put in?
  • How should they all show ingame?
  • What should each one include?
  • What should be the benefits for repeat subscribers?

Any feedback would be massively appreciated, and will be taken into heavy consideration.

For those wondering why this thread is being delivered in such a manner, and not bypassed by the staff first, there are actually two reasons. Contrary to belief, I still own the rights to Aethier, and Manage it financially. This is part of my job, and while i am a heavily impeded to make decisions to aid the financial front, it doesn't mean i can't try. Secondly, to be honest, its not just the staff paying the bills; Its everyone. And besides, i need everyone's opinions on this as after all, i find things often work and go a whole lot better when you get people involved in things that matter to them.

Either way, thanks if you managed to read this far. I enjoy ranting sometimes..

-NiNi/Serethia

Last edited by a moderator:

Vmwareguy2

Nature's Guardian
Credits
51.109cr
vmwareguy2
vmwareguy2
Patron 2
I'm sure this is already a factor, but please don't make subscriptions mandatory. I can only speak for myself, but I don't have access to making payments online. However I do think this would be a nice way to balance out the loss of the Arune. An idea I had while typing this would be that the differing Tiers should have some sort of Key feature. Say the lowest rank gets one free Voting Key on the last day of each/every other month, whereas one of the higher Tiers gets a Patron key, or multiple Voting Keys if that would be unfair. Hopefully something can be worked out to help the longevity of the server!

Phoenixstar117

Just some ghost
Credits
68.467cr
SterlingKerman
SterlingKerman
Patron 7
Man, do I miss the good old days. Where you had to manually set up a sever, change server files (or download craftbukkit, when that was a thing), and then create a plugins folder. Then, you would spend hours upon hours searching for awesome plugins on the bukkit site- and then even more time setting the plugins up. (I've spent days trying to get that darned PermissionsEx to work). And then you would have to either forward a port (harder than one thinks with a parent who is very finnicky about opening up his network), or run a hamachi port. All for a 12 person server for you and your friends from school to play on.

Now its all hosted online, automated, and expensive.

Of help and not reminiscing about the past, I do have access to a proper server computer, 30gb ram, unlimited internet bandwidth. It runs Minecraft servers pretty well (although, I doubt you'll want to run an entire network on it- plus, you would have to manually re-install everything), and I'm willing to discuss running some of your services on it, for free (to help relieve some of the cost). Just give me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.145cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
I'm sure this is already a factor, but please don't make subscriptions mandatory. I can only speak for myself, but I don't have access to making payments online. However I do think this would be a nice way to balance out the loss of the Arune. An idea I had while typing this would be that the differing Tiers should have some sort of Key feature. Say the lowest rank gets one free Voting Key on the last day of each/every other month, whereas one of the higher Tiers gets a Patron key, or multiple Voting Keys if that would be unfair. Hopefully something can be worked out to help the longevity of the server!
Oh Absolutley! I have no intention of disrupting the flow of the server. You will not be required to have any kind of subscription to play on any Aethier Server including Creative.

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.145cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa

DelendaEst

a formidable opponent,,,
Credits
50.000cr
Why not create a Patreon for the server? I'm really not willing to dump loads of cash into Aethier given I have my own economic priorities, but I could spare something on a monthly basis. You can set up ranks and shit through that, and it'd allow people to be flexible with what they want to pay rather than abiding by $5 or $10 monthly payments which are honestly a little steep, at least for me. 

Tree

Who even reads this
Event Team
Credits
50.000cr
Tree__
Tree__
Patron 7
Why not create a Patreon for the server? I'm really not willing to dump loads of cash into Aethier given I have my own economic priorities, but I could spare something on a monthly basis. You can set up ranks and shit through that, and it'd allow people to be flexible with what they want to pay rather than abiding by $5 or $10 monthly payments which are honestly a little steep, at least for me. 
This is a insanely good idea.

Serethia

Team Leader
Founder
Developer
Lore Team
Credits
55.145cr
NiNjAiKoToBa
NiNjAiKoToBa
Its deinitley something to consider- But Subscriptions are actually something we can offer through out Existing Platform and Paywall platform. I'll have a look though to see if there are any differences or benefits of switching though.

CloudSoul

Soldier Medic
Credits
50.000cr
PlasterGoat
PlasterGoat
Patron 7
I'd be willing to throw 25 bucks a month to the server. I spend triple that on beer. I'm pretty good at getting people to buy me drinks anyway. But it would be under the same type of system that @Tree came up with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom