• Aethier will be updating to 1.14.4 On January 1st 2020. Beta Testing and Map development for the new server will be announced at a later date.

(UNOFFICIAL) Aethier Community Climate Survey RESULTS (1 Viewer)

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
The long-awaited results arrive! If anyone has any further questions for me or is interested in any cross-tabs that I haven't made note of here, please don't hesitate to ask!

------------------------

Survey Implementation

This study was conducted via an anonymous survey communicated via link on the Aethier Forums, as well as the official Aethier discord. Informal announcements were posted by the surveyor on the “official” player Discords that they had access to: the Atargatis Discord, the Reiklands Discord, and the Folset Discord. This survey informally may have otherwise been transmitted by the available link to others on different Discords, and through word of mouth.

Data Spread (Contextualizing the Community)

The 62 Aethier players that responded to this survey act as a fairly balanced spread for the Aethier community as a whole in the demographics that were asked after. The data in this survey comes 8% from current Team Leaders, 31% from current members of Aethier teams, and 40% from non-team leads or members. 16% of respondents described themselves as current faction leaders, where 84% were not currently faction leaders. Overwhelmingly, 72% of respondents cited being a part of Aethier for two or more years. 82% of respondents cited being a part of Aethier for a year or more.

Systems

Progression System

34% of respondents agreed that they liked the current progression system compared to 28% responding that they didn’t. Players that cited being a member of a team were 1.2x more likely to rank their opinion of the progression system negatively than players who were not members of a team. Because of the new progression rollout, these responses are not considered timely and this issue should be re-evaluated once members of the community become more familiar with it.

Magic System

50% of respondents agreed that they liked the current magic system compared to 15% responding that they didn’t. There is a positive correlation between length of time on Aethier with approval of the magic system, suggesting that the current system is an improvement over past systems. When asked to opine, comments were generally positive, though there were two common-thread critiques that were mentioned several times. Several players requested being able to mix disciplines to create new and interesting spells. Other players were concerned about the threshold to attain magic; some called it too easy, while others thought that relying upon other players to light sparks made it “elitist” or “favoritest.”

War System

By far the most contentious of the system questions, 11% of respondents agreed that they liked the current war system compared to 27% against. A majority of the community (61%) selected “neutral” on this question, suggesting that the war system as it currently stands is not an engaging community system that the average player has any experience with. Of the faction leaders surveyed, only 2 agreed that they liked the current war system.

When asked to opine, some players cited a reliance on NPCs and a lack of real player incorporation. Many players cited the war system as the reason for ghost regions on the map. Many also noted that the number of active players in a region should be incorporated into manpower. A few players suggested solutions to this: perhaps a region should only be counted for manpower if roleplay is regularly conducted there and/or maintained by a player. However, several comments also suggest that the current war system is an improvement on past systems.

Community Atmosphere

65% of respondents agreed that Aethier had made them “very upset” in the last three months, compared to 16% of respondents who disagreed. No faction leader disagreed with the statement. One team leader disagreed with the statement.

Only 34% of respondents agreed that they liked the community atmosphere on Aethier, with only 3% strongly agreeing. Cliques and feelings of being excluded from groups of players were often cited as a reason for disagreeing with this statement, being mentioned in some capacity by 48% of those who disagreed with this statement.

These two responses suggest an overarching problem with server enjoyment.

37% of respondents strongly agreed that, when adding to or amending the Rules, it should first be put to a vote, with 68% agreeing overall. This is compared to 15% of players who disagreed .

Perception on Factions

37% of respondents agreed that the current factions on Aethier are overpowered compared to 31% who disagreed. Ghost regions were frequently brought up on this response, with many players suggesting that the current factions scale back in size. 18% of respondents mentioned the empire negatively in some regard in response to this question.

Overwhelmingly, 50% of respondents strongly agreed that they wished there were more opportunities for smaller factions to form and grow, with 79% overall agreeing compared to 6% that disagreed. Only one respondent strongly disagreed to this statement. Only one current faction leader disagreed with this statement. Again, ghost regions were brought up several times, some players suggesting that their existence stifles growth on the map.

One solution to the problem of ghost regions was asked after in the survey. In response to the question of if regions without regular activity (or “ghost regions”) should be unclaimed, 39% of respondents strongly agreed with 64% of respondents agreeing overall. 19.4% of respondents disagreed, and just 3% of respondents strongly disagreed. Players who agreed with the statement cited the delocalization of rp, the stifling of new factions, and a cluttering of the map as reasons why they disliked empty regions. Many players were concerned that the manpower system as a part of the war system was contributing to these empty towns. However, a few players stated that they enjoyed how the places gave the maps life and gave them new places to explore.

Perception on Teams

A fairly even 37% of players agreed that players should not be permitted on multiple teams compared to 40% who disagreed. However, when asked if Team Leads should be permitted on multiple teams, that shifted to 50% agreeing compared to 32% disagreeing. All Team Leads surveyed but one disagreed with the statement, though 72% non-team lead members of teams agreed.

47% of players agreed that Faction Leaders should not be Team Leaders compared to 30% who disagreed. 36% of respondents cited conflicts of interest in some regard in response to being asked to opine. Some players thought that the conflict of interest was unavoidable. Other players said it should be monitored more strictly. Other players mentioned that often Faction and Team Leaders invest the most in the community and that the progression was natural.

One proposed solution to the conflict of interest problem was asked after in this survey. When asked if Team Leaders should hand off issues involving their own factions to a neutral party, 58% of respondents strongly agreed with 77% of respondents agreeing overall. Only 6.5% of respondents disagreed, with no one strongly disagreeing. Although one respondent noted that “this already occurs,” several players disagreed, noting that this rule should be codified and a few suggesting that it should be monitored more strictly to avoid conflicts of interest when possible.

Team Trust

Only 19% of respondents agreed that Aethier Teams were transparent about their decision-making processes, with 45% disagreeing. When opening, players often wished that they were informed more organically when things were being considered, rather than being told once things had been decided. A few players cited the Teams as hiding things as so not to be accountable.

However, 48% of respondents agreed that they trusted Moderation Team compared to 30% who disagreed. Several players wished that Moderation Team would be more transparent. 12% of respondents opined in some regard that they wanted evidence to be public, and four respondents noted something about being able to defend against claims.

Most Positive Things About Aethier

Overwhelmingly, players cited good and thorough lore as the thing they enjoyed most about Aethier; though unprompted, 59% of respondents mentioned lore in some aspect in this answer. Other interesting responses included “the builds,” “the Reiklands,” “the varied cultures and groups,” and “Kyle.”

Most Negative Things About Aethier

Players reiterated issues already described above most often, speaking about ghost regions, a lack of inclusivity and the increasing of cliques, a toxic environment, and a “go-who-you-know” system as the thing they liked least about Aethier. A few players also cited “staff corruption” and the need for more accountability and transparency in the staff. A few players cited a lack of event lines that weren’t “apocalyptic,” and several players longed for more casual RP of less consequence.

------------------

TL;DR:

-> About ⅔ of respondents were upset with the current Aethier Community

-> Generally, respondents like the new magic system and request a few small improvements

-> Generally, respondents dislike the new war system and request improvements

-> About ⅔ of respondents believe that the community should be consulted when adding to or changing the rules

-> 79% of respondents wished there was more room for newer and smaller factions.

-> 64% of respondents believed that ghost regions should be unclaimed if there is not regular activity

-> 77% of respondents agreed that Team Leaders who are also Faction Leaders should hand over their duties to a neutral party if something arises involving their faction

-> About half of respondents said they trust Moderation Team

-> 19% of respondents said that Aethier Teams are transparent

-> People like the lore and Kyle

-> People dislike cliques, ghost regions, and unaccountable staff

HeraldOfNurgle

Not Nice
Build Team
Progression Team
Credits
51.769cr
HeraldOfNurgle
HeraldOfNurgle
Patron 7
Headline: Blatantly pointed poll that did not include the “official” discords of one of the largest groups on the server shows that people don’t like staff or empires on mineman roleplay server but offer no solutions and put in no work beyond their own personal rp while complaining about the people who do. Very informative, previously unknown information.

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
Headline: Blatantly pointed poll that did not include the “official” discords of one of the largest groups on the server shows that people don’t like staff or empires on mineman roleplay server but offer no solutions and put in no work beyond their own personal rp while complaining about the people who do. Very informative, previously unknown information.
Hey, thanks for the input! I’ll unpack this one point at a time :)

I wasn’t able to post this in several faction discords simply by virtue of the fact that I am not in them. I think your specific qualm is that it wasn’t posted in the Verseiva or Lusotania chats; I was removed from both a litte while ago and so I didn’t think it was my place to ask a conduit to post for me. However, that’s not to say that those people didn’t have access to the poll; it was not only posted on the official Aethier discord twice, it was posted on the forums and bumped multiple times. I’m fairly pleased with the data spread in this regard!

I didn’t offer any solutions or opinions of mine with these results because I didn’t want to color the data. Me personally opining is not the point of this post. It doesn’t matter what I think at this juncture; it matters what the community thinks. However, within the data, I DID pose two potential solutions to two different problems to the community, to which they were able to respond and which I reported.

Furthermore, to the point that I don’t put in any work beyond personal rp, this undertaking took a pretty substantial amount of work; I’d say that the process invested 10-12 hours in total, which is a lot for a working adult like myself.

As for complaining, I’m not sure if you’re referring to me personally or to the results. If you mean me personally, I didn’t offer any of my own opinions so I’m not quite sure what you mean. If you mean the results, I think it’s important that the leaders in the community are held accountable by the people they lead. The purpose of this survey was to give them the tools they need to improve upon the already existing systems so that there are better experiences for everyone.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Last edited:

changelingirl

Inane content generator and local annoyance
Credits
68.935cr
ButtonEyedGirl
ButtonEyedGirl
Patron 1
[UNOFFICIAL]

I mean I’m pretty sure we were all aware this was in no capacity official, given some of the comments made on the original post. Not to mention there’s no official poll to compare it to.

But sure. Add “unofficial”.

Alyssa

Ya Girl
Credits
62.517cr
AlyssaRK
AlyssaRK
Patron 2
[UNOFFICIAL]

I mean I’m pretty sure we were all aware this was in no capacity official, given some of the comments made on the original post. Not to mention there’s no official poll to compare it to.

But sure. Add “unofficial”.
I actually didn’t add that; I just woke up and saw that it had been added. But I take your point and I want to point out that I would be more than willing to conduct an additional, “official” poll for any team who wanted it to gauge things not asked about in this one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom